Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Angie, Vincent, the Teddy Bear and Me

The Teddy Bear sat there with me and a bottle of wine
the day it was dying and stars were beginning to shine
the music had died about a quarter to five
there was nothing or nobody looking alive
and the Teddy Bear thought to himself
'what a waste of a day.'

I answered the door to an outgoing girl from abroad
I'd been feeling so low but now my troubles began to unload
I said 'I'm glad you could come, I've been all along,
there are times when I don't feel so good on my own
I hope you stay for a while' and she smiled as I brought in some tea
for Angie and me.

It was coming on twelve when we went up to bed
the Teddy Bear didn't let on what went on in its head
but I was quite sure when she walked through the door
that this would be different from ever before
and with gentle surprise I gazed at the sky in her eyes
when they didn't surmise

It was almost three when she said to me I must be gone
she asked me to show her my love for her in a song
I said 'I'm tired you know, and anyway you've got to go
and love is not an easy thing for me to show
but I'm glad you could come and I hope that I've not done you wrong,
and I'll work on a song.'

The atmosphere thickened and guilt hung itself in the air
I piced up the book that she'd read when she'd sat on the chair
and as I patiently waited for the day to begin
I picked up a pen and started writing
and I dedicate this song to Angie and Vincent Van Gogh
and physical so-called love, that's not nearly enough

No comments:

A new Day

And yesterday it was my birthday. A have now reached the ago of 72. I am enjoying this getting older I have to confess. I have no fear for i...